IMPORTANT: This information should not be downloaded using government equipment, read during duty time or sent to others using government equipment, because it suggests action to be taken in support or against legislation. Do not use your government email address or government phone in contacting your Member of Congress.
Dear Local 1658 Member:
Over the next two months or so we will be entering a critical phase as Congress decides whether to shut down the government either over failure to raise the debt ceiling (due to be reached in early November) or due to the failure of Congress to continue to fund the government after the Continuing Resolution expires on 11 December 2015.
What will happen to you as a federal employee if the government shuts down? There is an excellent chance you will get furloughed. If you get furloughed there is a very real chance you will NOT get any back pay for the time you were furloughed.
Congress will also be discussing possible cuts in federal pay and benefits (such as making us pay more for our existing benefits).
However, you as an individual federal employee will play a critical role too, in protecting your own job, pay and benefits! Here are some practical suggestions:
1) First and foremost call and keep calling every week, if necessary your Member of Congress and your two US Senators. AFGE has set up a quick and easy way to do that. You just call 844-913-7574, type in your zip code and you will be connected to your Member of Congress’s office.
Please call at least three times:
1. Your congressman
2. Senator Stabbenow
3. Senator Peters
Once connected tell him/her staff that you are a federal employee and you don’t want the government shut down and you don’t want your pay or benefits cut – federal employees have already sacrificed over $150 billion. Get other family members, your friends and neighbors to call, too, the more the better! And dont make just one call and then stop. Keep calling week after week.
2) Join us at the phone bank bank in Southfield on November 11th. If you can come for even one hour – that would help.
3) Keep reading your local union website, face book page and national union website and stay informed regarding a possible government shutdown or pay or benefit reductions.
4) Get involved with your union or stay involved.
5) Get a co-worker to join the union.
MEMBERS: Learn more about Local 1658 sequestration plans by clicking here. You will need a password to gain access. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to get the password.
AFGE Local 1658 was affiliated in 1955 to represent the employees at the Ordnance Tank-Automotive Center in Detroit, Michigan. Today, our local represents over 5,000 workers at the following locations:
- US Army TACOM Life Cycle Management Command, Warren, MI & Selfridge Air National Guard Base, MI
- Program Executive Office, Integration, Warren, MI
- Program Executive Office, Combat Support & Combat Service Support, Warren, MI
- Program Executive Office, Ground Combat Systems, Warren, MI
- US Army Tank Automotive Research, Development & Engineering Center, Warren, MI
- Army Contracting Command – Warren, Warren, MI
- US Army Garrison – Detroit Arsenal, Warren, MI & Selfridge Air National Guard Base, MI
- Network Enterprise Center – Detroit Arsenal, Warren, MI
- Military Medical Readiness and Occupational Health Center, Warren, MI
- Defense Commissary Agency, Selfridge Air National Guard Base, MI
AFGE Local 1658
President Paul Veselenak
6501 E. 11 Mile Road
Building 230, Room 136W
Warren, MI 48397-5000
The webmaster and communications director can be reached at: email@example.com